Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Why I Should Stay "Burnt": An Open Letter from Mom

I baptized myself as "Burnt Raisin" because I saw myself as a "raisin forgotten by her sun."  Recently, I decided to move on and "dismiss" such [cyber] identity (by embracing the name my parents gave me (save for this blog of course =).  It was a liberating move because it has allowed me to get intouch with my "truer" self.  More recent events have affirmed that I am treading the right path.  Afterall, the "sun" that has forgotten me has beautifully transcended our times of yore and has, I discovered, progressed into a different, and perhaps, happier state..  

I wrote my Mom (and she's read my post) to unburden my heart.  Her eloquent response  soothed my restless spirit.  I felt in my heart she wasn't just dealing with a daughter in pain -- but a worn-out, injured, confused, human being who just happens to be her daughter..                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Her letter reads...

_____,  ...a dead flower, a broken button, a torn sandal, or a spoiled food have one thing in common: an indication that we will give these up.  Giving up a person completely is, I know, painful...even if you make a thousand excuses, much more because you have loved that someone.  Deal with your pains squarely -- on head-on -- ...and don’t make reasons.  I’m sure, you can deal with his loss because he is NOT MEANT for you.   And because you are meant for someone else. 
I know the pains....very much...but God has created mundane cure to all pains - TIME. A perfect time.  The when and how long is yours to use.  When you use all the past experiences to cope with the sadness, you will become stronger and at peace with yourself.

The human mind has a special ability....IT CAN CHOOSE WHAT TO REMEMBER.  Remember what is beautiful and what is pleasing. Remember things that will make you happy to have given him up. Remember how you were unhappy with him....and what made you unhappy with him. You are right...we are here. We love you. Although I know we are not there to fill your deepest longings....but take time to ponder. He too won’t be able to fill it. 
Stay burnt...looking straight to the sun. Be glad you once basked with all the pleasures under the warmth of sunshine. Let that warm light guide you now and keep those pretty hands of yours extended to reach the star you have aimed...
You were created for a purpose...keep your life attune with that purpose.  I’m sure you don’t fully comprehend until now what the Great Designer has for you. But I’m sure, with your strong faith, you have already lifted up everything to Him.
We love you. I love you...


Indeed, there is beauty in being "scarred" or in my case, being "burnt."  My Mom helped me see that...


In due time, I'll find my purpose.  Oh Mom, I can't help but be giddy!  I wonder what's instore for me..





2 comments:

  1. i really enjoyed reading the letter of your mom.so simple yet worth meditating on.reminds me of my nanay....
    been following your blogs since last month and i just couldn't keep myself expressing my admiration of your writing skill, your persona,your mom and your wonderful family....
    thank you.i finally found what i exactly want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Twinkle: Thank you.. I am grateful beyond words reading your comment. Truly gracious for your gesture and humbled by your encouragement. Godbless. =)

    ReplyDelete