Saturday, March 19, 2011

Novena in Honor of St. Joseph: SECOND DAY

(Disclaimer I am NOT taking credits for this. The text herein come from a 40-page novena booklet I purchased from St. Paul Bookstore where no author was indicated.  Undertaking the novena has enabled me to come across these beautiful reflections which I would like to share.  It is hence my hope that another soul might find inspiration from the virtues exemplified by the life of. St. Joseph)

NOTE:  These are the text in their entirety.  Emphasis were supplied by me.
 
HOPE--
"Blessed is the man whose trust is in the name of the Lord."
(Ps. 39,5)

HOPE is one o the greatest ornaments in the galaxy of Christian virtues.  It means that we place ourselves in the hands of God, that we trust Him to watch over us and guide us and protect our interests.

St. Joseph had this trust in God, this supernatural hope in an eminent degree.  he hoped for the grace to do the will of God; he hoped for the necessary helps to fulfill his mission; he hoped for the light necessary to guide him in his terrific difficulties.

By attaching his thoughts and desires and aspirations to God, he detached himself from earthly things, the affections of the hour, the interests that pass away quickly.  Every holy thought though witnessed by no human being, is seen by the all-seeing eye of God.  Regardless of the world's praise or blame, we may hope to receive our just reward.

REFLECTION

What of your hope?  Do you ever get despondent and wish to die?  Do you shudder when you consider the number of people who ion these days commit suicide?  Do you realize that for those who are in their right mind and who take their lives there can be but one result when their souls appear before the judgment seat of God, and that is eternal hell?

In your daily work, do you lose hope, getting discontented and spreading this disease to your companions?  Do you, to paraphrase St. Augustine, "work as though all depended upon yourself and hope as though all depended upon God?"

Prayer

O St. Joseph, do thou cause the gift of Christian hope to descend into my heart.  May it enlighten me, console me, defend me.  May it detach me from the earth so as to elevate my thoughts and affections towards  Heaven.  May it henceforward inspire my whole conduct and give me tyhe right to die like thee saying, "Lord, I have hoped in Thee.  I shall not be confounded!"

 




No comments:

Post a Comment