Saturday, March 19, 2011

Novena in Honor of St. Joseph

(Disclaimer:  I am NOT taking credits for this. The text herein come from a 40-page novena booklet I purchased from St. Paul Bookstore where no author was indicated.  Undertaking the novena has enabled me to come across these beautiful reflections which I would like to share.  It is hence my hope that another soul might find inspiration from the virtues exemplified by the life of. St. Joseph)

NOTE:  These are the text in their entirety.  Emphasis were supplied by me.

from Page 2

Saint Joseph




Pages might be penned and chapters written to advocate devotion to St. Joseph.  Whole volumes might be contributed and libraries put to use to gather and classify the favors, answers to prayers and spiritual rewards that have come through the intercession of St. Joseph.  It is helpful to realize this further buried conviction:  Christ Jesus was obedient to St. Joseph from that cold Christmas eve until the day when, int he arms of the Boy Christ, St. Joseph returned his soul to God; and as Christ was obedient to His father on earth, so too, in heaven, Christ listens to the suggestions of St. Joseph.

But as we scan the literature that has centered about the foster-father of the Divine Babe, there is no greater tribute, it seems, than the few lines penned by St. Teresa.  It is not only as a mystic that St. Teresa has come down to us in the pages of history; it is only as the "saint of common sense" as she has been called, that St. Teresa of Avila is known to us.  It is not only as a great woman called by many the greatest woman to tread this earth (after the Blessed Mother) in the Christian era.  It seems that St. Teresa in her marvelous work of establishing new monasteries was somewhat reckless.  This may be so to human eyes.

One thing is clear, that St. Teresa has always had so many plans, so many projects to launch.  And this too is true of individuals and societies today that try to do the work of the Lord.  Perhaps it is a blessing in disguise but the fact remains that individuals are continually restricted in their work for God by lack of the material means to erect eternal enterprises.

Wisely did St. Teresa place under St. Joseph's special patronage all the Carmelite convents she founded. To a great number she gave his won name.  Other Religious Orders in the Church similarly ought to honor St. Joseph.

Now realizing the work of St. Teresa, we have the following tribute from her that richly tells its own story.  Her words speak eloquently.  One cannot read them without thinking hope.

"I took St. Joseph for my patron and advocate, and I recommend myself unceasingly to His protection.  I do not remember ever to have asked anything of him that I did not obtain.
It seems as though God gives to other saints the grace to assist us in some certain necessity; but according to my experience, St. Joseph assists us in every want.  Our Lord wishing to make us understand that, as He was obedient to His foster-father here upon earth, so He now can refuse him no request in heaven.  Many persons who have invoked him by advice have experienced this truth, and the number of his clients increases daily and corroborate what I declare.
I would decide to persuade everyone to honor so great a Saint, so frequently have I been shown the powerful influence he possesses with God.  I have never met anyone who had true devotion to him, who did not advance rapidly in the path of virtue, because he mightily aids all who recommend themselves to his intercession. 
For several years past I have asked a special favor at his festival, and it has always been granted: if the request was not judicious, he had denied it for my greater god.  I implore those who do not credit this to make the trial for themselves.  Let him who has no guide in the way of prayer take this great Patriarch for his director.  HE will not go astray."

No comments:

Post a Comment