Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"What happens if I say Damn You God?" and other questions..

Years ago I stumbled upon a delightful book by a medical doctor turned seminarian, Dr. Charles Victor Arokiasamy.  Its a 123-page work which reveals the author's "love letters" to God -- mainly questions and questions involving his "licit affair" with the Almighty.  Below, are some of my favorite excerpts from the book..

"..you know God has always wanted to be in relationship with people. I mean real relationships you know, the heavy duty love kind -- not just some wimpy acquaintanceship. That is why I came into the world and became a human being, to try to establish relationships. That was my whole mating ritual, you know, my pick-up routine. And I was sure looking to score. But I don't mean a one-night stand kind of score. I wanted to establish strong personal relationships with people; with each and every person of the six billion something human race...
Unfortunately, you know how relationships go. I mean, that stuff never goes down smoothly. There are ups and downs, love and frustration, joy and sadness, hurt and forgiveness, kicking and kissing, fighting and making up. As they say of Prego sauce, "It's all in there." Those ups and downs are all part of a real relationship, the kind I was looking for. But for the most part, what do you think I got?
...People put me off as some kind of plastic or marble image, far away and unapproachable. I am this scary guy who is going to zap them everytime they do something wrong, like an eternal policeman. They see me as this ever watchful Big Brother, just waiting for them to mess up. Or sometimes they treat me like a cigarette machine that they run to whenever they need a nicotine fix. You call that a relationship__? Would you go out with a girl who keeps you at a distance or comes to you only when she needs help? Worse yet, some people even manage to convince themselves that I don't exist! But I keep trying..." (pp.3-4)




No comments:

Post a Comment