Sunday, April 17, 2011

Farewell AJ Perez



Yesterday when a friend told me AJ Perez died in a car accident my reaction was, "AJ who?" Pardon me but I honestly didn't know who he was.  When my friend told me he was the handsome leading man of Sabel at ABS-CBN's recently concluded soap, it was the only time I recognized him.  I always liked him even when I hardly watch TV.  I admired his charm and appeal.  I always found him wholesome..and very young.  So yes, I was saddened by the news of his death. 

Life is short they say..but for AJ, it was shorter.  His dad was qouted as saying,
 "Sana, panaginip lang to, Ogie. Si Aj ang buhay namin ng mami nya, bakit sya pa? Sana, ako na lang." (I wish this is just a dream.  AJ is our [his mom and dad'] life.  Why him?  I wish I were the one instead..)
Once again, theirs is a story of a parent burying their child.  The father's words create a very strong impact upon those who can relate to the pain of losing a loved one.  Why him? 

...and why not?  On a different perspective, if we come to evaluate the events in our lives, many of which are unpleasant and painful, we always find ourselves asking a similar question, "Why me?"  But, why not?

AJ's death like that of former young star, Rico Yan, happened at the Holy Week.  Jesus, in His Passion, could have easily daunted His Heavenly Father the same question..."WHY ME?"  But He did not.  Perhaps in the deepest recesses of His being, He knew why.

Things happen to  us not because we truly derserve them.  People who die young like Rico and AJ didn't die because they deserved it.  But it is because things happen for a reason.  So for us who remain living, our tasks will be to understand and accept that the loss of our loved ones, as well as the painful experiences we become subjected to happen for a reason.

Such is the mystery of life without which, living only becomes a senseless journey towards our death.

3 comments: