Saturday, January 15, 2011

In the Face of Danger

Lastnight I confronted danger right before my face.. Was traversing a straight path along the busy highway when  a sedan emerged from the intersection...

...heading home..7pm, Jan.14, 2011..traffic was bad as usual in front of XYZ, cars went bumper to bumper...I was heading straight home coming from theYZ's exit near YYY.. That Honda Civic came from X..made a right turn.. The driver saw me heading straight but purged ahead nevertheless.. Then came the crashing sound...the impact was subtle.. Never expected he'd reach me...
 I felt the car shake -- the gentle crashing sound was enough to unnerve me.. For a few secs, I didn't know how to react... I was just scared... When I got down the car, I was even more horrified to see his bumper off...and his side almost crushed as it was against my right front door.. It was only then that I came to my senses... I sighed, thankful that the impact wasn't so bad... What if???
His car looked new..couldn't really figure the color-- Those who responded (all three policemen) who were right at the scene, were my former students. They recognized me at once when I got off the car. They knew I was very scared (I was close to tears!)... they tried to appease me and assured me it's alright.. What matters is nobody got hurt...
It was this close...

Were it a bigger vehicle, or one that ran at a faster speed, I cannot imagine what would have happened...
But thank God they were slow---and small--- and none of us got hurt...The driver was a mellow man in his 40s...he was driving his sister home.. Told me he couldn't believe he reached me... He had stepped on the break before reaching me, and thought it was rather impossible to hit me.. Told him, I couldn't believe it either... I was going along with the many other vehicles -- and yes, I saw him... But i thought he'd stop seeing I was in motion right in the middle of the intersection...
But thank God they were slow---and small--- and none of us got hurt...The driver was a mellow man in his 40s...he was driving his sister home.. Told me he couldn't believe he reached me... He had stepped on the break before reaching me, and thought it was rather impossible to hit me.. Told him, I couldn't believe it either... I was going along with the many other vehicles -- and yes, I saw him... But i thought he'd stop seeing I was in motion right in the middle of the intersection...
Before the vehicles were disengaged, I was unsure about the extent of my damage....
can't help but admire the built of this Pajero... Was told if it were any other car...the slightest impact could have wrecked havoc.
The strong stepping steel helped cushion the impact. To think that the Civic's left side was ripped. Save for their headlights which amazingly was undamaged.
The investigator explained to us the extent of the damages, both in his car and mine... Could not remember the details as he was mumbling -- but I remember him say, "fender skirt, bumper..etc.."But my God... despite my right door having lots of scratch and dent--- it was fine... While his, was close to a wreck.. The driver even told me they're scared they couldn't make the car work anymore after that... While they felt relieved I did not suffer much damage, they couldn't help but feel really awful looking at their car... That's the driver checking out where his bumper used to be..
In the face of danger, God reminded me that this life is His gift to me.. Vehicular accidents are always in the news -- claiming many lives, maiming many victims.. I would have been part of the statistics, but thankfully, not. I still shiver thinking about the incident. But my heart overflows with so much gratitude for the intercession of the unseen force that spared us from greater danger... Truly, God's ways are amazing.. I will forever be grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my... I'm so happy that you're okay and that no one was hurt! That's also really good news that your car wasn't greatly damaged. You're really brave. I would've been petrified if that had happened to me.

    ReplyDelete