Saturday, August 6, 2011

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

July was filled with rains.  And rains ushered August too.  While this may be the perfect time to sport the trendiest rain/cool weather gears, rain always brings so much inconvenience, anxiety, and distress in general.  A vessel sank middle of last week brought about by the perilous weather, my birthplace, Bicol was again castigated by the typhoons, many people have lost their homes in Olongapo after their houses (in popular subdivisions) were washed away by the mudslide.  Unhappy news is everywhere and all these came with the rain.

A few years ago, in June, a surprise disaster also struck our place.  Floodwaters inside our abode rose up to the waist level.  It happened on broad daylight without the rains.  All the areas which used to be considered "absolutely" flood free before were hit by the flashflood.  And while many lives were claimed, many lives were also wrecked.

In that flood, I have not lost much...only a few material things.  But what crushed my heart more was the hapless sight around me.  Residents of the plushiest subdivision lost to the flood many of their newest, priciest cars, appliances, clothes, etc.  The awesome furniture which used to adorn their lovely homes were also wrecked. Truly, we all become helpless when Mother Nature unleashes her wrath.

Over and over again, we've been told to always be prepared.  None of us knows what awaits in the future.  The cherished material possessions we have can be snatched away in a second -- and we will be left clinging only to that which matters the most:  our lives.  Many of those who lose much are those who have much.  Those who have few know exactly what to safeguard. 

Things happen for a reason.  But my heart still aches for those who have been hit by these various disasters. 

Tonight, as I go under my warm sheets, I shall whisper prayers for you.  I shall be grateful not only for the roof above my head, but for the reminder that constantly, I have much to thank God for, and even much more work to do to make this world, a little better.

So please go now Rain.. Go away!

No comments:

Post a Comment